Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Final Stage Begins

I can't say that the last year or so of campaigning for the presidency has been this country's best days.  But I don't see the next seven months being any better.  While the quality of presidential candidates has been going downhill as I age, I really never thought it would sink this low.  I had thought that GW was the nadir.  I was wrong as Barack has done a good job of screwing up as badly as George.  One thing that George had over Barack is that he actually believed what he said - no matter how silly he sounded - and was willing to fight for it. The idea of Barack believing in something and actually fighting for it has not been something I have seen.  Of course, Mitt has difficulty espousing the same cause over a short period of time; he almost makes Barack seem to have deep-seated beliefs.  I lived in Massachusetts when Mitt was governor. I thought he was a lousy governor and can't see him having improved over the years.

The quality of the candidates and the campaigns they will run is probably the most salient indicator of this country's decline.  Oh, how I wish Harry were resurrected and maybe even Tricky Dick.

No comments: