Monday, April 09, 2012

Mitt and Bibi

It's interesting but inconsequential that both Romney and Netanyahu are better known by their nicknames - Mitt and Bibi - than by their given names - Willard and Benjamin.  It is also interesting but very consequential that they have been friends since the late 1970s.  What effect would this friendship have on this country should Romney become our next president?

It's likely that the effect would be significant.  In the Republican's December debate Romney chided Gingrich for a comment he made about the Palestinian situation: “Before I made a statement of that nature, I’d get on the phone to my friend Bibi Netanyahu and say: ‘Would it help if I say this? What would you like me to do?’ " Furthermore, most observers believe that our policy vis-a-vis Israel would be vetted by Netanyahu in the event of a Romney presidency.

No comments: