Monday, August 06, 2012

Maybe our parents knew more than we thought

A weekend wedding in Vermont brought back memories of my father and mother, who have been dead for 30+ years.

It was the music at the reception that brought back my father's distaste for the music I loved.  He was an opera buff and a lover of hymns.  He couldn't understand how I could like jazz and some of the popular music of the day.  To him that was not music, it was just noise.  I had the same reaction listening to the music of Michael Jackson etal, the pop stars of the '80s.  Like me, the dancers, who hardly ever left the dance floor, could not understand my reaction.  They loved it and had a great time.  

When I complained about some situations - perhaps, listening to a bore pontificate or not being able to quiet my child - my mother, who was quite religious, would say, "Offer it up for the poor souls in purgatory."  I followed her advice on the ride home when I had to listen for 1.5 hours to Connie Francis.

Maybe my kids will have a similar reaction to some of my sayings when I am long gone.

No comments: