Friday, April 05, 2013

The customer is king?

As we all well know, that slogan is passe for most 21st century companies.  I haven't written about the state of customer service in America for a while.  But today's dealings with the national offices of Allstate were a perfect example of the levels to which we have sunk.  I say national offices because they were in such sharp contrast to the local office, which did everything right.  My problems stemmed from my attempt to switch to e-billing to save a few dollars on my car insurance. 

#1 - The automated answering system went on and on and on, but finally connected me to a human being.

 #2- I'm reasonably sure - but not positive - my phone call was handled by someone in this country.  It was very difficult to fully understand the clerk as her language skills were poor. Although she could sign me up for e-billing, she couldn't tell me anything about the discount.  So, she forwarded my call to someone who could.

#3 - The phone rang and rang so I hung up.

#4 - When I got back from a meeting, there was a message from Allstate on my answering machine.  This person was an English speaker but he spoke so fast, I had to play the message again.  Even then I could not deduce his last name.

#5 -  When we finally spoke about an unrelated matter, the phone went out and I never got to know why he called.  As yet, two hours later he has not called.  I guess a customer was not important for Allstate.

No comments: