Thursday, May 26, 2016

Tony winner 2017?

The Hartford Stage won a Tony in 2014 for "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder". I think it has another winner on its hands in "Anastasia". It is a musical based on the old Anastasia story of her being (or not being) a member of the Russian royal family, the Romanovs, who were assassinated by the Communists in 1917. The musical was written by Terrence McNally, with lyrics by Lynn Ahrens and music by Stephen Flaherty. While the story and the music are pretty good (B, B+) it is the combination of these with an excellent cast (A) and superb production (A+) that bring it into the Tony class. 

Unlike many regional productions, the cast is made up of Actors Equity members only, all of whom are not only good actors but can sing and dance at a high level. Two of the cast are under 10 years old. In my limited experience (5 years) with the Hartford Stage, I have been most impressed with the production aspects of the plays. The production of "Anastasia" is the best I've seen here. In fact, I can't remember any other play that I've seen anywhere that has higher production values.

No comments: