Friday, August 31, 2012

Have you no sense of decency, sir?

That's a famous quote of Joseph Welch, the Boston lawyer who, by asking that question, sank Senator McCarthy, who for several years had been spewing venom and lies about Communists in government back in the prehistoric days of the 1950s. I hope that at some point someone like Welch will make us realize that the candidates for our highest offices will lie just as soon as they will speak the truth. Clearly, the Republicans have shown that these past few days and I strongly suspect the Democrats will do the same thing at their convention. 

I was not blessed with the gift of faith. I guess that's why I find it so hard to understand why people would vote for someone who promises the moon but has no plan for achieving that promise. I recognize that most of us vote for the lesser of two evils, but it would be nice if one of those evils actually had a plan and actually cared for the citizens of this country much more than they wanted to win an election.

No comments: