Monday, November 17, 2014

Ask your doctor

I don't know how many times I've heard that in the past few days when I have been watching more television than normal. It is just amazing how many ads there are for drugs, many of which I've never heard of. The ads all feature attractive people doing a wide variety of activities. They also do comply with the FDC rule to list the side effects. However, it's really hard to understand what those effects are as there is so much else going on in the ad at the same time. 

I assume that these ads are effective, as the pharmaceutical industry spends $3 billion a year on them. Some doctors are complaining that people insist that they’re suffering from a disorder. One doctor's comment: “I could not convince many of my patients that the marketing they were hearing about Vioxx was maximizing the benefits and minimizing the risks.” Vioxx is no longer on the market as it was proven dangerous to one's health.

No comments: