Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Who are your constituents?

Congressman John Olver believes that only people who live in his district are his constituents and, strictly speaking, he is correct. But, if one is chair of a House or Senate committee, isn't this much too narrow a definition? I think so.

So, for perhaps the first time in my life I called a Congressman's office, as an organization to which I am close is dramatically affected by the work of a subcommittee Olver heads. But, I could get nowhere with Olver's staff. Their advice was to contact my Congressman, who, as far as I know, has no connection with Olver's committee and, since I had already contacted him via the mail, had been unable to help.

{{wJohn Olver}}, member of the United States ...Image via Wikipedia



I think this behavior is another indication of what is wrong with this country. Sure, you don't want YOUR Congressman wasting time talking with nuts. But, I really don't think I come across as a nutter. I'm of the school where Congressmen and Senators represent not only the people who elect them, but they represent the entire country.

Is our present system so much better than one where we would appoint our representatives by lottery? I think not.

No comments: