Thursday, November 19, 2009

In Pursuit of Truth, Justice and the American Way

Yesterday I told you of my experience dealing with the offices of a long-term Congressman. That experience was disappointing. Being a persistent bloke, I decided to go to the source, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Renewal (HUD), as opposed to the agency's funders, Congress. My experience with HUD was unbelievably different and rewarding.

First of all, I was not halted by a 'gatekeeper'. I found the name of the person who headed the department I was interested in and telephoned him. He was not in, so I left a message, expecting that would be the end of it. However, twenty minutes later he called back and gave me the name and telephone number of the person who could answer my questions.

Again, there was no 'gatekeeper'. The woman to whom I was referred answered her own phone. Best of all, she was aware of the problem and knew how close HUD was to resolving it. After telling me when the solution was expected, she asked that I call her if the problem was not resolved within the expected time.

One would have expected exactly the reverse of the responses I received - Olver to be accommodating, HUD to be secretive. Why the difference between HUD and Congress? Was it because Olver has been in Congress for decades and has lost the fire of serving the nation as well as his constituents? Or, was it because the people I spoke to at HUD were likely new to the job? Interesting questions, the answer to which I think supports my contention that our 'leaders' should be recalled as they really do not believe that we are their bosses.

No comments: