Saturday, March 03, 2007

Pop goes the commercial

Many commercials now feature popular songs of a few years ago. The other day some former British star - maybe someone from The Who - was saying that he makes a lot more money now from having his music played as part of an ad than he ever did when he was a big star. I guess advertisers feel it's easier to use an existing song than trying to create a new one to help get their message across.

It's reached a point that even the music of minor pop stars is being featured in commercials. Just a few minutes ago, I heard the beginnings of a song by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I thought that my wife had put on the CD a friend had given us after reading one of my posts. But, no, it was being played as part of a Kellogg's commercial.

When I was traveling around the country selling software, I was always impressed by the talent that would be playing in the lounges of hotels. It was just amazing. Every so often you'd hear someone who, had the luck been with her, would have been a big star. I think that Kamakawiwo'ole was one of those people. Yes, he was very big in Hawaii, but now that he is dead he is finally becoming known around the world.

1 comment:

Flimsy Sanity said...

I agree that so many very talented people do not get well-known. Not only musicians, but also writers, artists, journalists. Doesn't seem fair, especially when some mediocre ones succeed.