Saturday, August 21, 2010

This is a democracy?

It's been with us a long time, "it" being the imperial presidency. But, you don't really notice it on a practical level until it directly affects you. Okay, Obama & company, which has a staff larger than 90% of the companies in America, is vacationing here on the Vineyard. And, yes, there are tons of media people vying for the story. I can put up with that. But, to create mile-long traffic jams so that the president & company can drive without stopping, I just don't get. This is what happened to me this morning.

It seems that Mr. Obama, who is staying in Chilmark, decided to play golf in Oak Bluffs, which is about 10 miles away. It looked like traffic moving in the direction of the golf course, whether driving in West Tisbury, Edgartown or Oak Bluffs, was brought to a halt by state police officers when he was just getting into his car in Chilmark. There were police officers at just about every major intersection along the way. This was all done supposedly because of the FBI or Secret Service rule that the president's entourage does not stop for anything, which translates into everybody else stops - perhaps to venerate him when he passes.

Why have things gotten to such an extreme? The same situation prevailed when Clinton was here and, I suspect, was the modus operandi for George W. How much of our money is spent on presidential vacations? I have paid 100% of the cost of all my vacations. Why can't he pay a portion of what has to be the astronomical cost of his vacations?

I wonder if Michael Dukakis had won the presidency back in the 20th century, whether he would have taken the subway to work as he did as governor.

Why do we put up with this waste? Why do we need a king? Why do we need a Congress which toadies to big money?

I'm glad I'm old. I would not want to be here in the 22nd century, assuming that we still have the money to buy lunch.

No comments: