Monday, September 13, 2010

How to lose votes

Tomorrow is the Massachusetts primary election. With the exception of a couple of races, there are few contests. But, those which are contested have demonstrated once more the risks you run by being overly aggressive in trying to win votes. For example, there is a battle for the State Senate seat for our district. In the Democratic primary most of the political leaders on the Island are backing one person, Dan Wolf. Based on his campaign literature, Mr. Wolf has a lot going for him. However, in the past week I've received at least three, if not more, mail solicitations from him, all of which carry basically the same message. This plethora of marketiana does not encourage me to cast my vote for Mr. Wolf. The truly 'modern' politician tries to get your vote via the telephone. This, I think, is a major tactical error. Why would I vote for a recorded voice that interrupts my dinner or whatever it is I'm engrossed in, such as writing this blog?

Clearly, this country has a real problem in attracting capable people to run the various levels of government. We need to find a better way of selecting our leaders. The lottery system put forward by my friend, Norm, is looking better every day.

No comments: