Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Living in an Alternate World - 2

I don't watch television much, most of my watching is of old movies. Last July I stumbled across a program called Toddlers and Tiaras, which was a beauty pageant for kids as young as 22 months. The fact that such a show existed and was able to raise the money to show it amazed me. The parents, mostly mothers, amazed me more, as they seemed to be living their lives through their daughters.

Well, last night I stumbled again and saw something called Dance Moms, which might be even weirder. There are the mothers championing their daughters and themselves. There are the daughters who look like robots, even though some are 15 years old. But most of all there is the woman who directs the dancers. She runs a dance studio on Pittsburgh, her name is Abby Lee Miller. To say that she is domineering would be an understatement. She has no people skills and is totally ignorant when it comes to dealing with children. Why people come to her dance studio is not obvious. I find it hard to believe this is truly a 'reality' show. There must be someone behind the scenes writing the scripts and coming up with the unreality that marks this show.

This show has been around since 2011. Are there that many crazy people watching it?

No comments: