Thursday, April 09, 2015

Keeping me safe

As more and more organizations want to make sure that my interactions with them over the internet are secure, the harder it gets to deal with many of these organizations unless you can "talk" with someone in the support area. I had thought that Google was an organization that welcomed "talk" with customers. I was mistaken.

I recently went on a cruise on the Seine. My first attempt to look at my e-mail was met by an interruption from Google that I was not communicating from my usual site. Something must be wrong and I should let them know that I was not a hacker. Doing so proved to be a real pain.

I went through the wringer trying to get Gmail to work. I reached the point where I needed to 'talk" with a customer support person. Guess what? There is no way to do so with any Google product and I have three of them. Eventually, I was able to look at my email. Case closed I thought.

I thought wrongly. When I tried to access Gmail at home, I could not presumably because I was using a computer different from the one of the ship. So, I went through another wringer. Finally, I was able to access Gmail.

I use three Google products: Gmail, Calendar and Blogger. It would be difficult to move to competitive products. But I have to research just how difficult a task it would be.

One thing I learned was never again to buy a 'family' of  products where there is only one entrance to all of the members.

No comments: