Sunday, April 12, 2015

Rivers in America

The longest rivers in the U.S. are out West. I have been on or even seen very few of them. Yet, I have the sense that our rivers are not as important commercially as those in Europe. I have been on a few rivers in Europe, most recently the Seine. Whether it was the Danube at 1,780 miles or the Seine at 482, there was significant commercial travel, the major item being river cruises. But, I've seen boats carrying 50 or more cars on the Seine, tons of coal, and a raft of other goods. I don't think I'd see the same level of commercial goods unless I was on the Mississippi, the Missouri or Columbia.

Also, the rivers in Europe seem to be integrated into the towns they go through. Most of the ports along the river are within a short walk of the center of town. In France, there was even a river boat that served as a chapel.

No comments: