Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Navy blind ads

I’ve run blind ads, just like the Navy does. Only my ads asked for a programmer when I really needed a programmer or a secretary when I needed a secretary. I did not pretend to be looking for a postal worker or a welder just to have someone call me. But, that’s what our Navy has been doing with the okay of the Defense Department – running deceitful blind ads so that they can get some gullible person to unknowingly call a Navy recruiter. They have been running ads nationally touting the benefits of being a postal worker among other jobs. Nowhere do the words US navy appear.

I wonder how many people are actually recruited this way. It is not only deceitful but, to my mind, a waste of time, money and resources. Why anyone would persist in talking with someone who got them there under false pretenses boggles my mind.

No comments: