Sunday, July 10, 2005

Leaving Gaza

In a little over a month Israel will have moved the settlers from Gaza. You might wonder why they will need 45,000 soldiers to move 9,000 people. I also wondered about that until I recalled my visit to Israel 30 years ago.

On that visit we drove out of Jerusalem on a road that was surrounded by desert as far as you could see. However, after a short while, you could see a small patch of green many miles ahead. As you got closer, the patch got larger and larger. When we reached the patch, it seemed as though the settlers there had made the desert bloom. From there you could see desert all the way back to Jerusalem. For millennia this area had been a parched, uninhabited wasteland. These people brought the area to life.

I’ve always thought of myself as a hard worker; many of my associates are also very hard workers. But, I could not conceive of anyone I knew going through the really super-human exertions to create that patch of green.

So, if the creation of the settlements in Gaza required the same sacrifice and effort, I can easily imagine why it would take an army to get the people to leave.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

It is sad for them. How unfortunate their government allowed them to settle there in the first place.