Saturday, October 27, 2007

A new college sport

The Martha's Vineyard fishing derby finished two weeks ago. It's a very serious but friendly competition drawing people from all over the world. Prizes were won by young and old fishermen. I think that the top prizes were a boat and a pick-up truck. I say 'think' because I'm not a fisherman. Many of my friends are and some usually come close to winning a major prize in the derby.

An article in Thursday's Wall Street Journal opened my eyes to the fact that fishing is becoming a major sport. It now has a tour analogous to the PGA; fishermen can win $1,000,000 in just one tournament. The top guys earn nowhere near what Tiger Woods does, but still $250,000 a year plus sponsorships is not chump change.

However, what really got me to read the article was that at least 83 colleges sent members of their fishing team to the National Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship. One of the colleges was ASU, which I've never thought of as a hotbed for fishing. Maybe in a year or two one of these college fishers will win the Vineyard Derby.

No comments: