Saturday, July 17, 2010

5 Strikes

Tony Hsieh, the president of Zappo's, has been on a PR kick the past few months. I read his statement of principles in the NY Times a couple of months ago and now I see he's made the Washington Post with his claim that Zappo's has it all - profits, happy employees and satisfied customers. Well, I know one client who is not satisfied and has become an ex-customer. That client is me.

I used Zappo's for the first and only time to buy a birthday gift for a granddaughter. Strike 1 - I had to call customer service as I could not buy the item directly on-line. Strike 2- the person who took the order entered the shipping address as W Ledge Road, rather than Westledge Road. Strike 3 - when I called to straighten this out, the customer service agent wanted the zip code of the delivery site. Since this was not on the confirmation I received from Zappo's and I did not want to hunt it down, I asked to speak to his boss. I guess he didn't know what a 'boss' was as he asked me if I wanted to speak to a 'lead'. Strike 4 - After the lead agreed to re-ship the order, I received a confirmation. That confirmation had my granddaughter as the billing party. I returned the confirmation with a note as to this error. Strike 5 - Their 'correction' moved me to my granddaughter's town.

How inept can a company be?

No comments: