Sunday, October 24, 2010

Quality Music

I've been doing a fair amount of solo driving the past couple of days. For company, I've been listening to the radio. There is no way I would listen to any of the seemingly endless number of talk shows. So, music it was.

I was in the mood for folk music and, since I've recently gotten XM/Sirius service, I listened to the folk channel, The Village. A couple of times each hour they would feature a name I recognized; these tunes I enjoyed. However, most of the hour was filled with names I'd never heard of. I would say that half of these singers must have paid XM/Sirius to play their songs. I don't know when I've heard such terrible singing no matter whether they were singing songs I recognized or not. Still in the mood for folk music, I turned to the UMass Boston radio station and was surprised to find more of the same low calibre performances.

What has happened to the folk music scene? Why do regular listeners put up with such crap?

No comments: