Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Luck of the Draw

Fundamentally, the cruise and, in particular, the visits to cities along the way reinforced my belief at how lucky I have been to have been born in 20th century America. Sure, like you, I've had my bad, really bad days. But when you look at how tough some others have it, you can only be grateful for how much better your living arrangements appear to be.
We visited Ocho Rios in Jamaica. Mick Jagger has a home on a hill there. Many live on the level ground in far less palatial quarters.


A couple of people live in caves. That's right, caves.

When the cruise boats come in, the people go into selling mode. The kids (and some adults) display monkeys and sloths in the hope that you'll give them some money.


And the adults really lay out the fruit and other edibles.


I was most struck by Costa Rica. While we visited only Port Limon and then only for a few hours, I did not see much difference here. There were the same ramshackle houses, the kids begging, the adults looking desperate. I had thought that Costa Rica was the beacon of Central America. It may be, but I didn't see it.

No comments: