Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Gecko Doesn't Get It

Geico has been featuring a gecko in its tv advertising for a while. Sure, it's different and the gecko is cute. However, the pitch, as I recall, is mainly about price; Geico is cheaper than other companies is the claim. Price, however, will only take you so far if you want to build a company for the long haul. You need to provide quality customer service as well. And, based on a recent conversation with Geico staff, that is something Geico lacks.

Here's today's experience in seeing why this country is in decline.

One of my co-workers was involved in an auto accident while on company business. Geico holds the policy on the other person involved in - and the cause of - the accident. Since I'm the one who deals with our insurance agent, I got a call from Geico yesterday when I was hiding at home because of the storm. When I returned the call today, my caller was not in but her machine said she would call back within two hours and, if she failed to do so, I should call her supervisor. Problem #1: the supervisor was not in when I called three hours later.

Geico called today when I was in a meeting. I returned the call but hung up after the phone rang 20 or so times. Problem #2.

I called Geico again and pressed "1" when told that would get me to the Claims department. The person there tried to connect me with my caller. I hung up after waiting 3 minutes. Problem #3.

Once more into the breach. This time I asked to speak to the person in charge of Claims. The one who took my call was not at the "right level" to deal with this. I could only speak to a "supervisor". Problem #4.

The speaker also was not at the right level as she refused to transfer me to someone up the chain. Problem #5.

Would I buy a policy from Geico? They were a much more human company when they bought my software 25 years ago. I'm surprised that Buffett tolerates such shoddy and second-rate "performance".

2 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

Did you know that GEICO had to quash its credit card business when it finally had to face the reality that its insurance customers were not good credit card customers? Too risky! As an attorney who has dealt with several personal injury cases, I learned all too quickly what you get for the low rates you pay to GEICO -- you get almost Nothing; no coverage, no customer service, and no responses. I would Never suggest someone to become a GEICO customer.

Anonymous said...

From my experience, GEICO has had by far the best customer service of any company i've had to call. Enough so to actually comment several times to my wife how easy they are to deal with. I guess not all experiences are the same