Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Next Act

Yesterday was the second time I retired. In 2002 I left the software business and settled here on Martha's Vineyard with my wife. After four years of retirement, much of which was spent volunteering, I spotted an ad for a Finance Director for a non-profit here on the Vineyard. I thought that maybe it might be fun to get paid for what I was doing gratis. So in October 2006 I started with Island Elderly Housing, the largest affordable housing provider on the Vineyard. It was a good decision. I enjoyed myself and helped the organization become more professional and better known.

But, life does intervene, especially when it looks like things are going your way. Things happened in my private life and I decided that I would prefer to live on the mainland closer to family. So, this is what I will be doing next week. Mirabile dictu, I was able to sell my house after only six months, which is rather unusual here at this moment in time. I will be moving to a continuing care retirement community in Connecticut.

Now, I have a small dilemma. Do I change the name of this blog? I don't think I will. The Vineyard does get into the marrow of your bones when you live here year-round for nine years. Of course, I will never be a native, I'll always be a "wash ashore", but, strange to say (at least to me and I'm sure to my wife and kids) I have converted and consider myself, first and foremost, a Vineyarder. The Vineyard is a strange place; different people move here. Some are really different in, to me, a sad, odd way, some are different in the same way I am. This past week has been one of surprises as I have attended a couple of surprise parties for me and that has seldom happened anywhere I have lived. The Vineyard does do good by its people.

Arriverderci, MV!

2 comments:

**** said...

Hi, Al - I'm glad you'll continue blogging on Vineyard Views. Best wishes to you in CT. Hope to see you in Makonikey again someday. Cheers, Will R

R J Adams said...

Al, all the very best in your new home. It is difficult to uproot, as I found out when I left Britain to come here in 2002. It's taken me a long time to adjust, but I'm beginning to. Soon, another move for me also, to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Vineyard Views has been a favorite read of mine for a number of years. I'm so glad you won't be giving up, or changing its name. I look forward to many more years of good reading in 'the Vineyard'.