Thursday, December 26, 2013

I guess it's not the American way

Frankly, the lionization of the military really frosts me. When the First Lady says, "And with more and more of our troops back here at home, now it’s our turn to serve – it’s our turn to step up and show our gratitude for the military families who have given us so much. And that’s why Jill Biden and I started our Joining Forces initiative – to rally all Americans to support our military families in ways large and small", I want to vomit.  I find it hard to accept that the military has given us so much more than many other Americans have, whether those Americans be teachers, doctors, policemen, your next door neighbor, etc.

I could understand such concern and sympathy when we were drafted and had no choice as to how we served this country. Today's military volunteered to join the service, just as someone volunteers to be a policeman, doctor, teacher, philanthropist. Who really does more for this country?

Of course, I have to realize that Obama's repeated praise for the military is just more of the b.s. that is endemic to being a politician today.

No comments: