Friday, March 24, 2006

Sure, I'll sign it

but then I'll give you my version of what I've signed. That's what many Presidents have done when they issue a "signing statement", where they give their interpretation of the legislation they have just signed and placed into law.

It seems a bizarre practice to me. For example, Bush's signing statement relative to the Patriot Act says that he will withhold information required by the Act if, in his judgment, disclosing it would "impair foreign relations, national security, the deliberative process of the executive, or the performance of the executive's constitutional duties". So, even though I'm signing this Act, which says I have to give you information about how the powers in this Act are being used, I will violate this Act and not give you this information if I don't think you can handle it.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Your interpretation seems accurate.