Monday, November 29, 2004

Someone wants me dead

As I write this, someone – it may be you, reader – wants me dead. Although he has never met me nor seen me or even my photograph, he is convinced that the world would be a better place if I were no longer in it, for I am another one of those people who has not accepted his god or his view of his god. And, I have been lucky enough to have been born and live in an environment where there is opportunity to realize whatever potential I may have.

Of the many who would prefer that I and other infidels were dead, only a very few would actually try to kill me. Yet, it only takes one dedicated person to kill me and, if he or she so desired, thousands with me. My killer may live down the street or 5,000 miles away. He may be a Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, a Sikh, a Hindu, or any of the thousands of religions that dot the planet. He (or she) is buoyed by those who acquiesce in my murder but lack the “courage” to do the deed.

In almost all cases I am relying on my society to do what it can to see that I live my allotted years. But, my expectations vary with the level of society. One expectation that I do not have is that we will turn the other cheek; sad to say, in some circumstances violence is necessary.

If my killer lives next door, I must rely on my powers of persuasion and those of my neighbors and, if they fail, my waning physical abilities as it’s doubtful that the local police could respond in time. If my killer lives in or comes to Massachusetts, I must rely more on the resources of the state in identifying potential killers and in encouraging tolerance and understanding of one’s fellow citizens. If my killer lives in another country, I must rely on the resources, intelligence and ‘smarts’ of the federal government. At this level I feel less secure than at the state or personal level. We have the resources. We have, but need to improve, our intelligence. We have lacked the ‘smarts’ because we are convinced that we are always right and the others are always wrong.

The federal government has to realize that the ‘war on terror’ is more than a military one. It is a battle for people’s hearts and minds. We have to begin to make our words into deeds. We need to understand why we have become the enemy for so many of our fellow residents of this planet. With this knowledge we can then decide what is the American thing to do.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Well put! Your last paragraph sums up nicely. To fix a problem, you first have to define it. If I have a burst pipe causing water to flow through my ceiling, I don't try to block up the hole in the ceiling, I fix the pipe. In this war on terrorism no-one is looking deeply into the cause, we're just trying to stem the effect.