Saturday, June 24, 2006

#1000

This is my one-thousandth post since I began this blog in early September 2004. I never thought that I’d still be at it almost two years later. But here I am.

I’m amazed that I’ve written about 100,000 words - enough for a couple of novels (if I could write fiction) - in that time. I suppose that if my interests were focused on one subject, I could convert this into a book. However, those of you who have been fairly steady readers know that my interests are fairly broad. I’ve covered a range of subjects with particular interest in the changes being wrought in a world that will soon have more than one superpower.

My wife complains that my postings are too negative. I think they reflect the thoughts of a man who grew up in a country and at a time when we were justly looked upon as the leader of the free world. Sure, we were not perfect; we made many mistakes. But, when you compare that world to this, you have to feel that there is something seriously wrong today. I won’t list the un-American, irrational, amoral, stupid things that we do; regular readers know what I mean. I found a lot to agree with in this anonymous comment from Economists View.

I’ve met (virtually, that is) some interesting people via this blog and have learned a little. To keep up with them I’ve been forced to read more and think more about this world in which we live. That effort alone has made writing this blog worthwhile. And, let’s face it, a blog feeds one’s ego. I’ve gotten people upset. I’ve received praise. I’ve been quoted in the Financial Times and broadcast on the local NPR station.

I hope you enjoy reading these posts and learn a little yourself. It’s a great big world out there. We can help each other understand it a little bit better. Peace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 1,000th post. I look forward to the next 1,000. While my views are on the other end of the political spectrum, I usually find the topics you choose important and your comments thought provoking. I also tend to agree with your wife that you see the glass half empty more that you should!

Cheers and thanks!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on reaching the 1,000 post mark. I, too, look forward to the next 1,000.