Monday, February 04, 2008

How does one become experienced?

When it comes to the workplace, I can't think of a husband-and-wife team that I know personally where I would substitute one spouse for the other. No matter how close the couple are, actually being in the workplace is different, a lot different, from talking about it over dinner. It is true that I know nobody like the Clintons, but I find it hard to believe that her being the spouse of the president has actually given her more experience in actually running the country than Obama.

One experience both Clintons seem not to have is that of admitting an error. I don't think this is a good trait in people who want to be leaders. The only program of the Clinton administration that I know Ms Clinton led was the healthcare initiative. That was a fiasco that I would not want on my resume. And she was older and presumably more experienced then than Obama is now.

She has also had the experience of not reading background material about Iraq before she voted to grant Bush the power to invade. Nor does she seem to have learned much over the years; witness her vote to name the Iranian Guards as a terrorist force.

Of course, her experience in the White House is captured in part by documents to be stored in the Clinton Library. Why is she preventing access to many of these documents which should convey the depth of her experience helping run the country?

If Obama does not get the nomination, this country will never get out of its current funk. Lord forbid that our choice should be McCain or Clinton. It will probably be time to throw in the towel and move - except that the dollar is in such poor shape overseas. GRR.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over Dinner, over dinner, please. The health care initiative, there were so many other issues involved, to blame Hillary is grasping at straws. Are Clinton and Obama that far apart that one should throw in the towel??

Flimsy Sanity said...

I always thought the same thing - her work experience was that of a corporate lawyer. I don't know if she was a spouse as much as a suffering cuckoldess.

Don't quit - join a third party. Sure they take years to build, but what more do people have to endure to see that the current ones are past repair.

Flimsy Sanity said...

PS - No one has more years of political experience than Cheney - what does that tell you?

Anonymous said...

As you rightly point out, the falling dollar makes moving overseas impractical. No-one appreciates that more than I! However, despite the continuous stream of criticism emanating from Sparrow Chat, I actually have no wish to leave America (though eventually vacating Illinois will be a joy!). There are huge numbers of people in the US I really have no wish to know, but very many I've found a real pleasure. Obama is truly an unknown entity, but emanates a mixture of King and Kennedy. Hopefully, he will not end his days in similar fashion. Clinton will, I believe, be a disaster (sorry, Catherine) but after the last eight years we probably won't even notice. The political system is so broke it can only get better, and one day the nightmare may just revert back to an American Dream. Of course, whether you and I will still be around to appreciate it is pure conjecture.