Saturday, May 15, 2010

It Has Been a Lulu

A few weeks ago I wrote about my experiences trying to publish a book using lulu.com. Well, I finally finished it but suspected that lulu.com hadn't finished with me. I was correct.

First I ordered some paperback copies and, as I reported, I had to pay priority mail rates because lulu could not change my mailing address. This priority mail shipment took ten days to arrive. I suspect that regular mail would have been faster, but then how could lulu charge me a higher rate for postage?

A few days after my initial order, I ordered some hard copies of the book. Of course, I went through the whole priority mail scam once more. At least they are consistent in that this shipment also took ten days to arrive. However, it did not arrive at West Tisbury, where I live. It was shipped to Vineyard Haven, where I have never lived. Fortunately, the person who received the package was kind enough to call me and I picked it up. When I took out the books, I looked at the Shipment Summary form that was packed in the box. I'll give you one guess as to what address was listed on the form.

Is there anything lulu.com does right?

No comments: