Friday, April 30, 2010

Second-rate Software

I have spent the past month or so trying to publish a family memoir via Lulu.com. The site has received decent reviews, particularly for projects of this type. I found it far from decent; it proved to be a very frustrating experience dealing with Lulu. It could be that I am dumb and/or ignorant about computers and software, but, since I was able to earn my living in computer software for 40 years, somehow I don't think that is the case.

Now I haven't been on the Lulu site every day, but just about every time I tried to do something I ran into problems. While there were a fair number of problems (e.g., program loops, program stops because of unknown and undocumented errors, etc.), the following were the ones that really frosted me.

Problem 1: Lulu claims to be able to handle Word files. Well, Word files that printed perfectly on my printer mysteriously had a page added to them by Lulu so that the pagination was thrown off and Lulu also had problems with some pages that, again, were perfectly centered on my print-out. Solution for me - abandon Word and switch to a PDF file.

Problem 2: I had proof copies sent to me via priority U.S. Mail. I then wanted to have my final order of hard copies sent to my house. After an hour I gave up trying to change the mailing address and provider; I now await transporting a heavy package from the post office to my home.

Problem 3: After asking for tech support I was able to produce a paperback version of the memoir. However, there is no way to change from priority to standard mail. So, I'm stuck paying 21% more for the books.

Problem 4: The on-line support staff is fairly junior as they tend to send you to web pages rather than answer basic questions.

My father would call this a learning experience. I agree. It's too bad Lul.com can't learn from it. I certainly have.

No comments: