Sunday, April 18, 2010

The American Athlete in the 21st Century

Last night Josh Selby, a high school basketball player, announced on national television that he would be attending Kansas in the fall. I guess because I am not a follower of college (or high school) basketball it's to be expected that I would have no interest in this news. Yet, I find it disheartening that so much is being made of this decision. Why this should be the case I don't know as it is simply another example of the depths to which this country's media has sunk.

It sounds as though Selby is really gifted in basketball, but where will he be twenty years from now? Will he be able to build a life for himself apart from basketball? It looks as though his life till now has been just basketball - and adults have led him on. He attended three high schools solely because the coaches were so desirous of having him on their team and one has to assume that the school principals seconded the coaches.

No comments: