Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Amex is not exactly a model for 21st century computing

Or even for 20th century computing. In fact, you have to wonder whether Amex believes that customers are necessary for a business to succeed. Two recent examples:
  • I wanted to cash in some points that had been collecting on my Amex card. I was surprised that my effort was rejected because I was not a member of the rewards program although we've been using the card for years. Then I was flabbergasted that the message that I was not a member was all I received. No phone number to call to get information on the subject. No web page to link to. Hey, if you're not a member, why should Amex try to make you a member.
  • On the same day I received a marketing e-mail from Amex, I decided that it was time to cut the cord and pressed the unsubscribe button. That was not enough for them although it has been enough for every other company when I decided to unsubscribe. Amex needs a userid and password. I don't think they used my userid when they sent the mass mailing to me.
I spoke to Customer Service and they think these policies are perfectly fine. I'm happy for them as I will no longer have to speak to robots as I've dropped the card.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Judging by the tortuously inventive methods they utilize to try and persuade me to take one of their cards - at least one a week arrives in my mailbox - I would suggest you're not alone. Frankly, I wouldn't have one of their cards if they begged me (and, come to think of it, it's coming close). I could have better customer relations with a man-eating tiger - if I were its dinner!