Friday, December 30, 2011

Solitude is not always a bad thing

When I was traveling a lot for work, the only consistent pleasure was not being able to contact or be contacted by my colleagues when I was airborne. I had time to think and work without being distracted. I could really focus. Some of my best ideas and best work was done flying across the country. 

But those days are gone, I know. Now there is no escape. You are always available. Some of the time your availability is useful, but often your callers are really wasting your time. On my recent trip on the Rhine with my son there were very few hours when he was not on his phone. I don't know but I strongly suspect that most of his conversations were ephemeral and really added little to his life or that of his colleagues and did prevent him from truly and deeply savoring much that was on view.

I was prompted to write this post because I see that many theaters are now promoting tweeting at their performances.  They see it as a marketing ploy to re-capture a younger audience. I don't tweet nor am I on Facebook. However, I would think that a certain degree of concentration is required to communicate one's thoughts via these devices. When I go to the theater after having paid a fair amount of money I want to understand and, hopefully, enjoy the performance. I have no interest in telling you my reaction during Scene 1 of Act 1. I want to focus and understand what is happening on stage. I doubt that tweeting - yours or mine - would enhance my concentration or enjoyment. However, I am an old man not really in tune with the 21st century and in the minority. Tweeting will eventually become a standard practice in the theater.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Sure makes me glad I'm not young again.