Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Nobody is perfect

In the 20th century I finished just about every book I started, even if it was a bad book.  In this century I guess I'm more particular or finally realize that my days are numbered because I don't finish every book I start.  I've finished less than half of the books in my current book club because they are just not very good.  

I have read a few by Elmore Leonard and they have all been good.  But he's written close to 50 and he is human so he's entitled to mess up once in a while.  His latest, "Raylan", is an example of a screw up.  If it wasn't a Leonard book, I would have stopped at around page 50.  It is really three long short stories (or novellas) in one book.  There is not the suspense one expects in his books.  Most of the characters are uninteresting.  In short, I did not like it.  But, I guess because he was the author, I felt duty-bound to finish it.  My first mistake in 2013!

No comments: