Andrew Bacevich believes that we are not discussing the issues that are relevant to our survival. The media is spending way too much time and effort palavering about Trump. I think he makes a lot of sense. He has 24 issues to discuss. Here are his first five:
1. Accomplishing the “mission”: He wants our allies to "assume responsibility for managing their own affairs".
2. American military supremacy: This is something I've been wondering about for a long time - Since we have spent so much time and money on our armed services, why haven't we won a war since WWII? "Could it be that we’ve taken the wrong approach? What should we be doing differently?"
3. America’s empire of bases: We have troops stationed around the world. Has this made for a safer world?
4. Supporting the troops: We worship our "warriors". "Why has discussion and debate about its deficiencies not found a place among the nation’s political priorities?"
5. Prerogatives of the commander-in-chief: When was the last time Congress had a major say in our going to war?
I hope to comment on his remaining issues but I'm ready for bed and will do so over the next couple of days.