Thursday, January 25, 2007

Despair can make you do strange things

While I'm not a stranger to hospitals and operating rooms, I've been lucky in that I've never been on the verge of death. I don't know what I'd do if I had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and conventional treatments were not helping. I would hope that I would enter a hospice program. But you don't know until you're there.

Despite my recognition of the difficulty of really knowing how you'd act when in extremis, I was surprised to read in yesterday's Wall Street Journal of the patients of Dr. Christine Daniel. They were portrayed as reasonable people, one was a nurse. However, they decided to pay Dr. Daniel a heck of a lot of money for bottles of a liquid concoction the doctor had created. This sounds like the medicine man of old Western movies. The difference here is that the doctor mixed her potion with religion; she appeared on Christian radio and television shows claiming cure rates of 60% and above, some of which were 'miracles'. And, her customers apparently believed that Jesus blessed her medical credentials in some way; they believed this enough to pay $6,000 a week for the magical elixir.

Death will come to us all. The question is how we act when Death comes to us. I would hope that I would not believe that eternal life was in a bottle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

According to Dr Christine's website, she not only cures the terminally ill but raises the dead also. In her spare time she's ".....a Medical Doctor, in Mission Hills, California. Graduate, of Temple University School of Medicine, Class of 1979. Ordained Preacher, 1993. Western Evangelical Association, California. A renowned Bible Scholar, very knowledgeable in Mosaic Laws and Jewish History. The Mathematical Decoder of the secret Code embedded in the Davinci’s Code name."
She's also available for interviews - no doubt for $6,000 per session. If she looks anything like the photo on her website - which I doubt - she probably charges a hefty sum for sex as well.