Friday, January 19, 2007

Keeping the family line going

The Israeli courts have ruled that the sperm of a dead person can be used to impregnate a woman who was a stranger to him. Okay, I can agree with some of that, but the details of this case make me wonder about some people.

A soldier was killed in one of the Gaza episodes in 2002. His parents had his semen extracted at the morgue. You've got to assume that the dead soldier was an only child. But, you've also got to believe that the parents were totally committed to continuing their line. Why they did not have more than one child if they had such a strong commitment escapes me. The article does not mention whether the parents had living male relatives. They may have, they may not have. I just can't understand people having the presence of mind to even think of a dead son's possible offspring when the son is lying there dead before them. It really boggles my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wrote on this one, also. It perplexed me somewhat.