Monday, January 15, 2007

"I'm visiting my babies' grave."

That's a quote from a cat owner when visiting the graves of her two cats, as reported in yesterday's NY Times.

I've written a number of times about the big business pet care has become. It's to be expected that pet burials would also become popular; estimates are that it now brings in $150,000,000 annually and is growing faster than the general pet care business. Most cremate their pets. But, some inter them in mausoleums costing over $100,000. I've never understood the deep connection some have with their pets. Many owners are buried in the same plot with their pet. I buried our cat in our yard.

The Pet Cemetery of Tucson seems to have taken the lead in what I consider the humanizing of pets. At this cemetery you can choose a closed or open coffin for viewing, a horse-drawn cart to bring your animal to the grave, a soloist to sing at the service, memorial candles, perpetual care and a catered buffet for the guests at the funeral.

I suppose that if people derive comfort and joy from their pets I should not carp about their devotion to them. I guess it's a lot easier to live with or raise a pet than another human being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's perhaps sad that many people relate better to an animal than another human being. As you rightly point out, an animal is usually easier to live with. I've many times heard the sentence uttered, "I much prefer animals to people." The "service" provided by the Pet Cemetery of Tucson and others of its ilk is just another scheme for making money from human misery. Business today, it seems, regards ethics as a liability to be conveniently pigeon-holed. I have equally little time for the human disposal business, with all its extravagant (and expensive) frills and fancies.