Saturday, July 18, 2009

Another "I didn't know that" Moment

I knew that the FDA does not have as much power as it should. But I would have thought that if they came to my food plant and asked for access to my pest control records, environmental-testing programs and other data related to the safety of the food I produce I would have to comply. Well, that's not the case. For example, the Nestle plant in Danville, VA, was able to say "no" to an inspector's request even though Nestle has recalled 300,000 cases of refrigerated dough products thought to be the cause of an outbreak of E.coli which put 34 people in the hospital and made many more very ill. The dough was made at the Danville plant.

In a previous inspection at the same plant Nestle refused to supply its consumer complaint file or to allow photos to be taken or some records to be copied. This refusal pattern is not unique to Nestle; many other food companies operate the same way.

So, who is looking out for our interest in not eating germ-free food?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: