Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sampling the Oscar Nominations

Recently, I've seen four of the movies nominated for best picture. Overall, I'm surprised at the lack of quality in these movies, primarily in terms of a story line. 

I probably shouldn't have said that I saw four movies because I only saw the first 30 - 45 minutes of two, as the movies were pretty bad. "American Hustle" put me to sleep; the characters seemed to have come from comic books. "Capt. Phillips" was equally boring, but I did not go to sleep. I just shut it off after a half-hour. I quickly tired of the very average navy men and the inability to read the translations of the Somalis as the font was tiny and, often, white letters appeared on a white background.

I missed the first 20 minutes of "August: Osage County" but stayed until the end. Why I stayed - and stayed awake - I'm not really sure. I knew the movie was about a dysfunctional family. But the dysfunction in this family was simply unreal; perhaps, it occurs in one of a couple of million families. Amongst the members of this family, they committed the seven deadly sins with very little motivation that I could understand. As for the ending, who knows?

Fortunately, there was one really good movie: "Philomena". This was the only one that had a strong story line. While it told a story that was new to me, it was an understandable story. It had a beginning, middle and end - all of which were integrated. And, it was not a simple, easily forgettable story. It caused me to do some research on the subject and to think about the movie a couple of weeks after seeing it.

No comments: