Saturday, October 09, 2004

The Audience Won Debate #2

The real stars of last night’s debate were the audience and their questions. They demonstrated a concern for and knowledge of our country that, no matter our political bent, was one of the most American aspects of this vicious, non-American political campaign. It would have been very American of the candidates to have actually answered the questions instead of resorting to reciting their political mantras.

Yet, we have to make a choice and, in my father’s words, pick the lesser of two evils. Fortunately, once again, the proven failure fell short. Bush did not do as badly as in Debate #1, but he still lost. I know that my New England background has instilled some bias in me, but, Lord, how many failures is the public willing to accept? As I’ve said before, it is not only Iraq or the war on terrorism or the economy or…… It is becoming harder and harder to identify many successes in fact as opposed to in words.

Another big nail was driven into the coffin of Bush’s defeat by the latest report on the non-existence of WMD in Iraq and its conclusion that sanctions were preventing Saddam from doing much beyond wishing and posturing about WMD.

The big day is three weeks from Tuesday. Kerry has my state. Does he have yours?

1 comment:

Hallucinogenious said...

Hey! Vermont checking in,here! I would say that Kerry has our state... I usually vote Libertarian,but this election is probably the most important of my and my familys' future! I'm not a big Kerry fan,but he has the one thing that America needs right now,and that's for the rest of the world start siding with us again! Just passing through and wanted to let you know that I enjoyed reading what you are writing...