Tuesday, October 05, 2004

We are alone

Today 42 years ago was another one of those days that have shaped me. October 5, 1962, was my last day as a bachelor. Naturally, I was looking forward to my wedding day with a mixture of trepidation and delight. To combat the trepidation I sought out my parents, my siblings, my friends. None could help me. Although many of those I spoke with were married, they really didn’t understand my concerns. Either they did not have the same feelings just before their wedding or, more likely, they had forgotten them. I was alone that day as I had been alone previously and would be alone as I went through life.

Man strives to escape his solitariness. Some seek connections via drugs, some via art, some via religion, some in other people or nature. And, these connections with “the other” sometimes last more than a moment. But, ultimately, the loneliness returns; it can never be vanquished. It is our lot.

No comments: