Thursday, August 16, 2007

Growing up younger and younger

Many - perhaps most - of my fellow college graduates do not practice in the field of their college major. Heck, I didn't know what I wanted to do until I was a couple of years out of graduate school and even then I just fell into the programming field, which did not exist when I was in high school.

Over the past few years there has been a quiet movement to have high school freshmen declare a major. In some cases the schools are hoping that the kids will be better students as a particular school's performance has been very poor. Yes, we all know the kid who at a very early age knew what she wanted to do when she grew up. But there are very few of those types of kids. Most of us have no idea what we can do and what the world may hold for us. Experimenting is the stuff of life. We should give our kids a chance to try different things.

1 comment:

Sona said...

That's insane. To expect someone at 14 or 15 to know what they want to do with life? They don't even know what real life is at that age.