Monday, August 13, 2007

More than highways

I've driven through Rhode Island many, many times. Except for trips to Newport, I've stayed on the major highways. Well, yesterday we missed our exit off Rte.95 and had a wonderful ride through a Rhode Island I'd never really seen: A two lane road surrounded by trees. A couple of huge lakes. Signs advertising vegetables and eggs beings sold by local farmers. A small horse farm. An even smaller mule farm. The Washington and Rochambeau pathways.

I should get lost like this more often.

1 comment:

Sona said...

Sometimes the back roads are the best.

One vacation, my husband and I did exactly the same thing - we got off the major highway and took a little back road.

We had better conversations while driving this way, as we pointed out local shops and sights. You could see the people, the homes, the local trees and animals. It was much more fun.