Monday, October 10, 2011

Books I Didn't Like

I just finished reading "Confidence Men" by Ron Suskind. I'd read some of his articles in the NY Review and was looking forward to reading his latest book. I was disappointed; in fact, I simply skimmed the last chapter. The writing is simply ok. The book is really an indictment of Larry Summers and Tim Geithner; Suskind may have written more about them than about Obama. There were a fair number of words about very minor characters; it seemed he wanted to produce a 500-page tome. Also, I was surprised to find a few typos, which probably arose because of the desire to get the book out as fast as possible.

I wonder if my love of reading is fading. When I was younger, I finished just about every book I started. Now, I don't feel that need. I joined a book club here at Duncaster and couldn't get beyond page 100 of "Before You Know Kindness" by Chris Bohjalian. He's reputed to be quite a good writer and I'm sure my fellow book club members will enthuse about him. I found the book very boring. Perhaps, this is another sign of old age.

No comments: