Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Scrotal Lymphedema

You know what the title of this post means. Don't you? It is, as I'm sure you figured out, a disease. The first word might give you a clue as to what is affected by the disease. It's the scrotum. The disease causes it to swell because of an excess of watery fluid that collects in the tissues. Sometimes the disease is known as elephantiasis.

Wesley Warren, Jr., has the disease in spades. His scrotum weighs 100 pounds! Since he has always been big, he now weighs 450 pounds. This makes life quite difficult for him, without considering his high blood pressure and asthma.

This disease is not unknown in tropical climates. There, it is attributed to mosquitoes. Here, no one knows what caused Warren's problem. He says it started after his leg hit his testicles as he was awaking one morning in late 2008. "I never felt such pain," he said. "It was like a shooting pain through my entire body. When it stopped, it was like a huge tractor trailer went off the top of me. I think it ruined my lymph nodes down there." The next morning he was carrying  a soccer ball down there. And the soccer ball kept growing to its now 100 pounds.

Doctors think that an operation may help. But, the operation costs $1,000,000 and Warren is on welfare. So, he has started a fund and wants you to donate to that fund He appeared on the Howard Stern Show and raised some money there but he needs a lot more.

I hope you can run the clip below. I had problems with it. But anyway you can see a photo of him.
Courtesy of our NYC correspondent.

No comments: