Saturday, January 01, 2005

A New Year

Here on this small island the weather on this first day of our new year is wonderful. Despite it being our eleventh day of winter, the temperature is 50 degrees and the sun is shining. So, the year is starting out well for us on our little island at least as far as the weather is concerned. Let’s hope it’s a precursor of a better year for all of us on our little planet.

It can be a better year for our little planet if, in the words I heard so often in my Catholic grammar school, each of us “lights one candle rather than curse the darkness”. I seem to be recalling these words more often of late. Looking back on 2004, I see so much cursing of the darkness rather than trying to do something about it.

When I was in the business world, I was often struck by the number of people I met who were not exercising their potential. Some had not been given a chance. Most had simply either not realized the depth of their talents or lacked the confidence needed to display their talents.

In a world that is in deep trouble we need all the talent we can get.

No comments: