Thursday, February 03, 2005

State of the Union: February 2005

I really can’t stand to watch State of the Union messages. The repeated rising and applause is ridiculous. But, supposedly, the speech outlines the president’s aims for the coming year(s) and, in theory, lets him give his opinion of where the country stands today. So, last night while President Bush was speaking, I went to the White House web site and read a summary of the speech. Yes, there were a lot of platitudes, some noble aspirations, maybe a good idea or two. But did it give a reasonably true picture of where the country is today. You be the judge.

The assertion: Over the last four years, Americans have come together to overcome great challenges.
My take: In my 67 years I have never seen the country so divided.

The assertion: We opened new markets abroad.
My take: Our trade deficit is the highest ever.

The assertion: We created 2.3 million jobs over the past four years.
My take: I guess it depends on how you define ‘creation’. The 2.3 million is very close to the number of jobs lost in the first three plus years of this administration. Only the Hoover administration lost more jobs.

The assertion: The budget reflects the country’s priorities of ensuring economic growth and fighting the War on Terror.
My take: I guess record trade deficits, record fiscal deficits, a weak dollar, rising outsourcing, the emergence of China and India as global economic powers equate to economic growth. Just like the colored alert system and taking off your shoes at the airport lead to a safer country.

The assertion: Tax relief must be made permanent.
My take: That way any social service programs can go down the tube.

The assertion: The President’s plan will reduce the rising cost of health care.
My take: Just as the Medicare prescription drug benefit will reduce the cost of health care for some individuals while making the entire Medicare system less tenable.

The assertion: His plan encourages conservation.
My take: This is the first time I’ve heard him mention the word.

The assertion: His plan encourages alternative sources of energy, including hydrogen-fuel, clean coal and ethanol.
My take: What about ‘fuels’ such as sun and wind?

The assertion: Taxpayers spend six billion hours every year on paperwork and other headaches.
My take: Divide the six billion by the population of 300,000,000 and you get twenty hours per person. Is that too much time away from the tube? How many people actually spend as many as twenty hours?

The assertion: Re Social Security, we must not jeopardize our economic strength by raising payroll taxes.
My take: We’ll just borrow the money and add to the record deficit that will eventually kill us if we don’t take steps now.

The assertion: We’ll improve state criminal justice systems.
My take: What happened to the separation of state governments from the federal government?

The assertion: Taking the fight to the enemy – with the essential help of our allies – has made America safer.
My take: Would there be more or fewer terrorists today if we had not attacked Iraq? Would the attack have had greater legitimacy if we had our allies, France and Germany, with us?

The assertion: In partnership with nations of the broader Middle East, the President is advancing political, social, and economic reforms in the region.
My take: Isn’t this butting in on the affairs of supposedly sovereign nations, some of whom are our allies?

No comments: