Tuesday, February 08, 2005

What planet is the federal government on?

When I worked, all the budgets we created took into account possible revenue as well as likely costs. As treasurer of a non-profit, my budget considers possible revenue as well as likely costs. As a member of the town finance committee, I always have in mind the town’s tax base as we review the town’s expense and capital budgets. That is, any sensible person considers both revenue and expense when making financial plans. Why doesn’t our federal government?

In both the profit and non-profit worlds I have no real control over the revenue that will come in; I can do things that increase the likelihood of our revenue goals being met, but I can’t guarantee it. The town has the power to increase revenue by raising taxes or fees and, as a taxpayer, I have to pay my taxes.

Why has there been so little mention of the revenue side of the federal financial position by the administration? They have so much more control over revenue than any non-governmental entity. This country does not exist solely to wage war. We are a country for the mutual benefit of all our citizens.

No comments: