Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Jerry's Journey is complete

Back in March I wrote about a bike ride from Nebraska to Martha's Vineyard that a 63-year-old friend was taking in June. Well, he did it. Here are some of his thoughts upon being home.

Eighteen hundred miles, ten states, seven flat tires, two broken spokes, one hundred stories (give or take a few), and one dream fulfilled, and I found myself rolling my bike off the fast ferry in Oak Bluffs ready to make that last five mile ride to Edgartown to finish my trip! I hadn't realized how much I missed the Vineyard until I saw her for the first time in over a month. Once again I was awed!

I struggle to sum up in a few paragraphs all the emotions that are running through me at this time. This bicycle trip across half the country was everything I had ever hoped it would be and much, much more. We were fortunate, my riding partner, Chuck Hughes and I, as we crossed this wonderful nation. The weather cooperated with us and we always seemed to be just ahead of the next storm or just behind the last. Some did great damage across the upper part of New York State and we rode through the aftermath of the storm as if nothing had happened, and yet we knew from the people we talked with that we were seeing only the surface of what had taken place.

We were able to see the heartland of the nation with its wheat fields and corn fields that stretched as far as the eye could see. We stopped to take a picture of a beautiful wheat field and found ourselves singing, "O beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain . . ." Something you are not able to see at 65 mph along the Interstate system. Everywhere we went, from small farm town to the city, we were met by new friends who wanted to know what two old, fat guys in spandex were doing out riding across the country. When we spoke to them about why we were doing this, the response was always the same. "Yes, we know the good work of Habitat for Humanity. Keep up the good work."

Both Chuck and I have discovered a vitality about this nation of ours that gets lost on the 6:00 and 11:00 news. Sure there are some difficulties out there, but we are still America the beautiful with good and loving people every place you go. Over the weeks and months ahead, I hope to be able to share the story in many forums, whether face to face, on the printed page, or maybe even a TV interview or two! It is good to be back home again with family and friends.

The over 1,600 mile bike ride to benefit Habitat for Humanity of Martha's Vineyard has been a great accomplishment. If you would like to support Jerry's efforts, please send a check made payable to Habitat for Humanity of Martha's Vineyard and write: "Jerry's Journey for Habitat" in the notation. Donations should be sent to:

Habitat for Humanity of Martha's Vineyard
Post Office Box 1093
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568

Home at last,

Jerry

No comments: